Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Drink Confusion

Just a frustration lately, but I can't stand it when a customer returns a drink because its not what they wanted, but it was what they ordered. Example: "Can I get a dopio machiatto?" I then prepare a double shot of espresso with a dollop of foam. This is the normal meaning, although for some you mark(machiatto means marked or spotted) the espresso with milk not foam. This is fine except most customers who order this drink really want a Starbucks Machiatto which is at least 12oz. and has caramel or something on it. Instead of the having a satisfied customer, I have an angry one that thinks I can't make a drink.

Look, its not that I hate Starbucks. I don't follow the anti-starbucks mantra of most baristas. But I do hate their naming conventions. Lets face it, they purposely name their drinks wrong to lock in customers. Starbucks customers do not know how to order anywhere else, and since most starbuck names are actually the opposite of the real meaning, most starbucks customers have a bad experience at indie shops.
Example Terms.
Machiatto-espresso marked with foam or milk. Starbucks-latte type drink marked with caramel.
Tall-denotes a large drink. Starbucks- means their smallest drink.
Light- order your coffee light and you get extra cream. Starbucks- Here it means skim milk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home